Subscribe in a reader

Tuesday 3 June 2008

A prayer offered by the bishops of Africa - about Zimbabwe

You might like to see here what the Anglican bishops in Africa have to say about Zimbabwe. They offer this prayer, which I find very challenging:

Lord, you asked for my hands that you might use them for your purpose.

I gave them for a moment then withdrew them for the work was hard.

You asked for my mouth to speak out against injustice.

I gave you a whisper that I might not be accused.

You asked for my eyes to see the pain of poverty.

I closed them for I did not want to see.

You asked for my life that you might work through me.

I gave a small part that I might not get too involved.

Lord, forgive my calculated efforts to serve you

Only when it is convenient for me to do so,

Only in those places where it is safe to do so,

And only with those who make it easy to do so.

Father, forgive me, renew me

Send me out as a usable instrument

That I might take seriously the meaning of your cross.

No comments:

Post a Comment