Subscribe in a reader

Saturday 14 March 2009

A Somerset Levels slideshow

As I wrote yesterday, I snapped away as Michael and I crossed the levels. Here is a slideshow of a few of the pictures. I haven't yet included the peat or the swans. There are three pictures of the Iron Age village, one showing a collapsing hut. Apparently these huts have a limited lifetime, and this was the earliest to be built. Now that it is collapsing, they are allowing it all to happen naturally, in the hope that they can get data while it leaves traces in the ground, which will help future archaeologists working on a real site to reconstruct more accurately what the original hut would have been like.

Somerset Levels

You might be interested to see the video I made of the village being used for a weekend of iron age living.

No comments:

Post a Comment