Subscribe in a reader

Sunday 22 March 2009

This is good news, I think

While writing my life story I did wonder how the various schools and colleges I was at are doing now.

A brochure came from Ridley Hall the other day. Because it was labelled From the Development Office I thought it could wait. A money appeal. But Trevor read it to me this morning and what the new Principal had to write about himself was cheering. He is not ashamed to talk about his evangelical roots, and his parents as farmers and members of the Church of England in their village. Apparently Ridley Hall (which is a theological college to train Church of England clergy) had a slogan, Roots down, Walls down. That was under the previous Principal, a good man called Graham Cray. Andrew Norman, the new chap, is adding Bridges out.

Andrew was brought up in the world of Scripture Union camps and OICCU, which is just fine and dandy by me.

Someone told me a couple of days ago that the only person in the C of E that was speaking out in the right way is the Archbishop of York, and I am inclined to agree. Thank God for John Sentamu. And thank God for the colour of his skin, and the climate of opinion in the media that forces them to give a fair hearing to a black man.

Isn't it interesting that the two men we look to for inspirational, intelligent, uncorrupt leadership are both black. Barak O being the other one, of course.

I do hope Ridley produces a generation of clergy that are not ashamed of the Gospel, and preach it as
the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

No comments:

Post a Comment