Subscribe in a reader

Tuesday 17 March 2009

A strange poem

Christopher Smart wrote Rejoice in the Lamb while confined to a lunatic asylum, I believe.

Below is an extract, including a mouse "a creature Of great personal valour". I do wonder whether C.S. Lewis had Smart in mind when describing Reepicheep. I'm hoping to be able to quote a little bit about Reepicheep soon.


David and catI don't have a cat called Jeoffry, but next door's cat Stimpy comes in a lot, and is extrememely affectionate,

For I will consider my cat Jeoffry.
For he is the servant of the living God.
Duly and daily serving him.

For at the first glance
Of the glory of God in the East
He worships in his way.
For this is done by wreathing his body
Seven times round with elegant quickness.
For he knows that God is his saviour.
For God has bless'd him
In the variety of his movements.
For there is nothing sweeter
Than his peace when at rest.

For I am possessed of a cat,
Surpassing in beauty,
From whom I take occasion
To bless Almighty God.

For the Mouse is a creature
Of great personal valour.
For this is a true case--
Cat takes female mouse,
Male mouse will not depart,
but stands threat'ning and daring.
If you will let her go,
I will engage you,
As prodigious a creature as you are.

For the Mouse is a creature
Of great personal valour.
For the Mouse is of
An hospitable disposition.


No comments:

Post a Comment